skip navigation

Last modified: December 17, 2020

School to Post-School Transition

What are School to Post-School Transition services?

These services are required for a student with disability (ages 14 and older) and means a coordinated set of activities for a student with a disability that:

  1. Is designed to exist with in a results-oriented process, and is focused on improving the academic and functional achievement of the student with a disability to facilitate the student’s movement from school to post-school activities, including postsecondary education, vocational education, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living, or community participation;
  2. Is based on the individual student’s needs, taking in to account the student’s strengths, preferences, and interests; and includes instruction, related services, community experiences, the development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives and, if appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and provision of a functional vocational evaluation.
  3. May be special education, if provided as specially designed instruction, or a related service, if required to assist a student with a disability to benefit from special education” (USBE SES Rules PDF, 2020, page 30).

For more information, please reach out to you high school’s special education teacher leader or Bryce Vellinga, Coordinator of Transition Services, at

Special Education Teacher Leaders by High School

  • Independence High School: Carmen Williams at 
  • Provo High School: Deanna Coates at 
  • Timpview High School: Donny Atuaia at 

What must the IEP include about transition services?

  1. Realistic and reasonable measurable postsecondary goals based upon annual age-appropriate transition assessments related to training or education, employment, and, where appropriate, independent living skills; 
  2. Transition services, including multi-year courses of study, that will reasonably enable the student to reach the post-secondary goals identified on the IEP; 
  3. Evidence that the student was invited to the IEP Team meeting where transition services are to be discussed. If the student does not attend the IEP meeting, the IEP Team must take other steps to ensure the student’s preferences and interests are considered; 
  4. If appropriate, evidence that a representative of any participating agency that might be providing or paying for any transition services was invited to the IEP Team meeting with written consent of the parent or adult student prior to the meeting; and 
  5. Any modifications to graduation requirements, as permitted under R277- 700.

Students with disabilities must have access to school counselors for the purpose of planning and must be actively invited and included (when appropriate) in school activities which address course planning (including online courses), graduation, and post-secondary education and employment (i.e., college week, scholarship opportunities, ACT, and concurrent enrollment).

 Source: USBE Special Education State Rules PDF, 2020, page 79, page 142

What special education services are available for students with disabilities beyond high school?

Provo City School District provides a post-high program for students with disabilities beyond their senior year in high school. Eligibility for these services is an IEP team decision. This program typically supports students with significant cognitive disabilities. Learn more at

What if a student with a disability needs additional time (beyond his/her senior year) to obtain a regular high school diploma?

  • The IEP team (starting in 9th grade) should ensure that a student with an IEP has a transition plan that emphasizes a reasonable trajectory to obtaining a regular high school diploma at the end of the senior year. The special education case manger, school counselor, the student and the parent should monitor progress each semester. Modifications to graduation requirements, as permitted under R277-700 should be documented in the IEP. When making modifications, be cautious and mindful of implications for enrollment into future education (i.e., college, vocational education, etc.), future employment and independent living.
  • A school can continue to support the student through the summer after their senior year to complete graduation requirements. Please reach out to your child’s special education case manager and school counselor.
  • Provo City School District offers an adult high program. Lean more at 

For some students (typically students with significant cognitive disabilities), a certificate of completion may be appropriate. This is an IEP team decision that should be considered before the student’s senior year.