Last modified: October 27, 2023
EL Monitor Letter
To the Parent or Guardian
Provo City School District is committed to providing services that meet the needs of all children. Federal law requires parents of EL (English Learner) students be notified annually of their student’s English language development progress, support services provided, and exit criteria. EL students are also called Multilingual Learners (ML). The identification of and support services for all Multilingual Learners in Provo City School District are directly aligned to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and guidelines provided by the US Department of Education, Civil-Rights legislation and the Utah State Board of Education rule.
Your student ** was previously identified as a Multilingual Learner. The overall proficiency score for your student is *. To help you understand what this means, an explanation of English language proficiency levels is at the bottom of this letter.
Your student is currently in his/her * year of being monitored.
Your child’s English language proficiency was assessed and/or identified using the following assessment:
• ACCESS – given to students in kindergarten through 12th grade at the end of year who have previously been identified as English Learners while in Provo School District or while enrolled in a prior school district in the state of Utah.
Students demonstrating an overall proficiency of 4.2 (expanding) and a minimum 3.5 speaking score, a 5.0 (bridging )score or a 6.0 (reaching) score are monitored for four years and may no longer take the yearly ACCESS assessment. If, at the end of the four-year monitor period, it is determined by a student support team (parent, teacher, administrator) that the student is maintaining grade-level standards in English Language Proficiency, the student will be formally exited from ML services.
If you have any questions, please contact your student’s teacher or the EL Supervisor at your school. The EL Supervisor at your school is *.
Levels 1 through 4
- Knows and uses minimal social language and minimal academic language with visual support.
- Knows and uses some social English and general academic language with visual support.
- Knows and uses social English and some specific academic language with visual support.
- Knows and uses social English and some technical academic language.
Monitored for 4 years (Exited from EL after 4 years or monitoring)
4.2 (expanding) and a minimum of a 3.5 in speaking
- Knows and uses social English and some technical academic language with most grade level material.
- Knows and uses social and academic language working with grade level material.
- Knows and uses social and academic language at the highest level measures by this test.