Last modified: September 6, 2023
Open Enrollment Process
Utah Code 53A-2-206.5-213 & District Policy 3118
- As per Utah State Law, the window to accept applications for the early open enrollment period is from November 15th to the 1st Friday in February; the late open enrollment period begins after the 1st Friday in February.
- There are no waiting lists. Those who apply during the early open enrollment window have a better chance to get in since the schools base their open spots on maximum capacity. Once they enter late enrollment period it is then based on adjusted capacity.
- Returning students do not need to fill out the application again.
- All Kindergarteners must fill out the open enrollment application. They must go through the application process even if siblings currently attend.
- Parents may apply for more than one school; one application per student.
- The following priority levels are used
- Children and grandchildren of Employees (must work in the school)
- Siblings who reside in Provo City
- Siblings who reside outside Provo City
- Provo City residents
- All other who live out of the district, non-siblings. **Gender may be considered to maintain heterogeneous student population
- Applications can be accepted or denied based on attendance, behavior, and space available (seat space) in the classroom/program.
- Applications cannot be accepted or denied based on academics achievements, athletic or other extra curricular ability, proficiency in the English language, special education services for which space is available.
- For those who applied during the early enrollment period, letters of acceptance or denial are sent by email no later than March 31st.
- Schools will consider their maximum capacity to determine placements during the early enrollment period.
- Students accepted will receive notification and will be advised how to register for the coming school year.
- Students who have been denied will also receive notification. Those applications will then enter the late enrollment period. If space becomes available, our office will take a look at the applications received in both early and late enrollment period and go through the same process again.
- Some Elementary schools have Kindergarten registration before responses go out (March 31st). This helps determine if there will be room for students from out of area.
- Once the early open enrollment window is closed, those who did not gain entrance into the school of choice will be moved to the late enrollment period and will go through the lottery process again for available spots.
- If a school fills up after the early enrollment period, applications can be accepted but parents will be emailed a denial letter. If a school finds that it will have some available spots, we will then do a lottery for all those applications received.
- Schools will consider their adjusted capacity to determine placement during the late enrollment period.
- If a school remains open to enrollment after the early enrollment period, applications will be accepted, evaluated and approved (if the student qualifies) until the adjusted capacity is reached.
- Once a school fills up during the late enrollment period, applications can still be accepted. Parents will receive a denial letter. If a school finds that they have some available spots, we will do the selection process from all those applications received.
- If a school remains open to enrollment during the late enrollment period, applications will be accepted, evaluated and approved (if the student qualifies) until the adjusted capacity is reached.
- For the Late Enrollment Period, letters of acceptance or denial will be processed as quickly as possible but no later than the Friday before school starts.
- Once school starts, the Student Services office will process the applications as quickly as possible but no later than 2 weeks from the date the application is received.
- Families interested in applying for a dual immersion program (in grades 2nd – 12th) and live outside the school’s boundary will need to submit an Open Enrollment application.
- Parents must provide notification to the Student Services Office whether or not they will be registering for the coming school year by the date required below. If notification is not received, then the slot will be given to another student.
- If you applied during the EARLY enrollment period you must notify by April 15th
- If you applied during the LATE enrollment period you must notify within the two weeks from the notification of acceptance.
- If you applied during the SCHOOL YEAR you must notify the school within 5 calendar days after the notification.
- Please notify by email to Provo City School District Student Services Office firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Open Enrollment Notification
- Applications can be found on our website at provo.edu and in our office in both English and Spanish.
If you have any questions please come by our office at 280 West 940 North, Provo, UT 84604 or call 801.374.4838 Se Habla Español