Last modified: September 26, 2023
Policy No. 2600 Technology Planning
The Provo City School District Board of Education recognizes the increasing role and value of technology to assist in the learning of students in classrooms throughout the district. Technology also plays an important role in instructional practices, communication efforts, and administrative functions.
The Board directs the superintendent to guide the development of a comprehensive, 5-year technology plan for the district. This plan is to be submitted to and approved by the Board in a formal business meeting. The approved plan will then be submitted to the state to be filed for erate purposes.
The plan is to include the following components:
- A 5-year replacement cycle for all desktop and laptop computers in the district.
- A process to surplus outdated equipment in accordance with district and state guidelines.
- Projections for growth/expansion of technology needs during the term of the 5-year plan: infrastructure, servers, training, piloting new techniques and devices, e-rate, etc.
The technology plan should also include a brief section at the end that outlines:
- Unmet needs due to financial shortfall, and
- Necessary advance notifications to be aware of relative to imminent changes in equipment, training, infrastructure, etc.
For any/all construction and remodel projects, the district technology department will be included in all phases of the planning and construction process to ensure appropriate district standards and latest technological requirements are met as part of the project.
Annual updates may be requested by the board which could include, but are not limited to the following items:
- An annual budget plan, including technology department personnel and operating budget.
- An annual update of approved hardware/software, network security, online protection measures, innovations in technology, and monitoring tools in use throughout the district.
- State mandates and requirements.
Approved by Board of Education
September 10, 2013