Last modified: September 26, 2023
Policy No. 2400 Annual Professional Development Program Planning
The Provo City School District Board of Education supports quality teaching as the central activity of the district’s work. In an effort to bolster the priority of having high quality teachers in every classroom and high quality principals in every school, the Board endorses meaningful professional development activities that are aligned with state and district standards, changing external mandates, best practices, valid research, and relevant self-identified needs by district staff.
Under the superintendent’s direction, the district will formulate and implement a comprehensive, formal professional development plan each year that aligns with the multi-year plan of enabling teachers to provide excellent instruction. The plan is required to be based on the following practices:
- Staff and administrators will be invited to share their professional development needs/interests via a periodic professional development survey.
- A summary report of the survey results will be created ad published, shared publicly in district meetings and on the district website.
- A draft of the new plan for the coming year will be shared in a manner to receive feedback with principals and if possible, with teachers.
- A firm plan for the coming school year coordinated with the multi-year plan, will be developed by June 15th.
- Evidence of a commitment to coordinate district-wide needs/interests with school-based needs/interests will be demonstrated.
- With the exception of minor tweaks, the new yearlong plan will be implemented without confusing add-ons, variations, and departures.
- If possible/relevant, the plan will include the proposed use of district before-school PD days and during-school early-release days to deliver training.
The superintendent will direct the planning of each year’s annual professional development plan in coordination with other administrators in the district. Periodic updates on the professional development activities will be provided on the district website.
Approved by Board of Education
September 10, 2013