Last modified: September 26, 2023
Policy No. 1110 Student Officers on the Board
The Provo City School District Board of Education values the input of all stakeholders as the Board considers decisions that impact students and student learning. An important voice among the stakeholders are the students themselves. The Board has expressed an interest in including student representatives on the Board.
There are three main purposes for including students on the Board:
- To invite student perspectives on matters the board is discussing,
- To encourage more of a liaison function between students throughout the district and the board, and
- To actively promote and facilitate democratic governance practices in the lives of student representatives.
This policy establishes the commitment to and implementation of student officers as advisory members of the Provo City School District Board of Education. Further, the Board directs the superintendent to develop procedures to guide the process of student membership including application, selection, specific roles and activities, etc. to guide the board in this effort. Included in the procedure will be:
- A re-statement of Purpose (noted above)
- Attendance and Reporting
- Expectations and Responsibilities
- Board Member and Administrator Mentorship
- Application Timeline and Process 8. Selection and Announcement
Approved by the Board of Education
March 21, 2023