Utah Common Core Standards
The new standards are the foundation of reading and language arts instruction from kindergarten through 12th grade. They include the knowledge and skills students need to be successful when they leave high school, whether they go on to college, pursue career or technical training, or move directly to the workforce to learn the skills they need to be successful while on the job.
The new standards are based on the same levels of performance as those in the highest performing countries in the world, and are intended to prepare our students to succeed in today’s very competitive world economy. There is virtually no aspect of success in life that is not influenced by how well a person understands and uses language.
Utah’s English Language Arts Core Standards will prepare our students to read, write, speak, and listen at higher levels. Implementing Utah’s new Core Standards in English Language Arts will help prepare every student to be prepared for post high school, college or career training.
- English Language Arts Core Standards
- Reading and the Common Core Standards
- Example Texts to Use for the Common Core Standards
- Writing and the Common Core Standards
Provo City School District Essential Standards
Provo School District recognizes that not all standards in the Utah Common Core have equal weight. While all standards can be covered in a school year, it is essential that some standards be mastered by every student. These standards are more importance because they have:
- Endurance–students should retain these skills for a long period of time;
- Leverage–student should use these standards in other classrooms; and
- Readiness–students should master these standards so they are ready for the next level.
All Provo School District English Language Arts teachers were invited to collaborate in the creation of the list of essential standards. If students cannot master essential standards, opportunities for remediation will be provided.