skip navigation

Last modified: September 12, 2023


Provo City School District is ready to support you as you teach your child in a home education setting. Please submit the original signed and notarized affidavit (as required by Utah Code Ann., Section 53G-6-204) to the Student Services Office at 280 W 940 N Provo.

For your convenience we have a notary service in our office at no charge.  After it is received, we will issue an exemption certificate excusing your child from Utah’s compulsory education requirements. If your child is currently enrolled in a school within the District, you may then follow normal checkout procedures. We will automatically issue a new certificate each year on or before August 1 unless you move or your child no longer attends home school. The exemption certificate will be on file at the address above, and you may request a copy after August 1 of each year. Please remember that under Utah law you are solely responsible for your child’s education. 

A part time student attends part of the day at the school.  Students must register at the school and adhere to the attendance policy for the Provo City School District.  Please remember to contact the school administrator at the elementary level or the school counselor at the secondary level to arrange a schedule and provide them with a copy of the current school year’s certificate. 

If you have questions, please contact your local school principal or the Student Services Office. We wish you success in your education program and want you to know that your child will always be welcome back in the Provo City School District should you wish to enroll them.

It is important that we receive a written notification of any changes, therefore a phone notification is not sufficient.  If you have a notarized homeschool affidavit already filed with Student Services in the Provo City School District you can  use this link   change the status of your student or to update the home address, as long as you will remain attending in the Provo City School District’s schools.

If you will move out of Provo City, you must file a new affidavit with the new school district.  If you have any questions, please contact Lauren Schoenwald at 801-374-4985 or email at, en español llame al 801-374-4838.