Assessment & Data
Assessment for learning is a gift we give our students. It is a mirror we hold up to show them how far they have come. It is a promise that we will use assessment, not to punish or reward, but to guide them on their learning journey.
Civics Test for High School Students
On January 1, 2016, a new law (53A-13-109.5) went into effect. Entitled the “American Civics Education Initiative”, this law requires that each student seeking a Utah high school diploma must pass a basic civics test.
What is the civics test?
- The civics test consists of 50 questions selected from the 100 questions on the United States Customs and Immigration Service civics test.
- Students must correctly answer 35 of 50 (70%) questions to pass.
- Students may take the test as many times as necessary to pass.
- Students may take the test in any grade. (Since much of the civics content is applicable to the 8th grade core standards, it is appropriate to administer the test after 8th grade.)
- An alternate assessment may be given to students with disabilities, IEPs, and/or student s identified by the school district as qualifying for alternate assessment.
- United States Customs and Immigration Service Civics Test (The 50 questions are selected from this test)
- Practice Civics Test
- Civics Test Study Materials
- Standardized Testing Opt Out Policy (includes SAGE Summative tests) (PDF)Please contact your student’s school to obtain, complete, and return the PCSD State Testing Opt-out Form.
2014 – 2015 Assessment Timelines & Plans
- Assessment Calendar (Google)
- Elementary Assessment Plan (PDF)
- Secondary Assessment Plan (PDF)
- Elementary Assessment Timeline (PDF)
- Secondary Assessment Timeline (PDF)
- Required Assessments by Grade and Subject (PDF)
Utah Compose Rubrics – Teacher and Student Versions
- Utah Compose: Narrative Essay Rubric—Student Version
- Utah Compose Opinion/Argument Essay Rubric: Student Version
- Utah Compose: Narrative Rubric—Teacher Version
- Utah Compose Informational/Explanatory Rubric—Teacher Version
- Utah Compose Informational/Explanatory