Last modified: September 20, 2021
Black/African American Advisory Committee
What’s the purpose of the Black/African American advisory committee?
The purpose of the Black/African American Advisory Committee is to bring Parents/Legal Guardians/Caregivers and the Provo City School District (PCSD) together to set goals and find solutions that will strengthen the district for the benefit of ALL student needs, and build on relations that will lead Provo City School District students to graduation.
- Provide parents/legal guardians/caregivers to have the opportunity to participate in the school life of PCSD students.
- Unite parents/legal guardians/caregivers and district by fostering positive communication to help understand cultural /social differences.
- Nurturing community involvement by providing various cultural/social opportunities to help educate and bring awareness to the various cultures/social differences in Provo City School District and celebrating the various cultures/differences in Provo City.
- Provide guidance and support to the district to help guide students toward graduation by understanding the cultural/social differences in the district and community.
Establish a supportive relationship between parents/legal guardians/caregivers of students and the Provo City School District. This relationship will be built through constructive discussions in which parents/legal guardians/caregivers will discuss the challenges that students are having in any of the schools of the Provo City School District. In addition, the Black/African American Advisory Committee will present recommendations to those problems to the Provo City School District, Student Services Department. Furthermore, the Black/African American Advisory Committee will plan cultural activities in order to educate and strengthen the relationship between, parents/legal guardians/caregivers, students and the Provo City School District community.
- To identify educational/social/emotional support and resources for students in the Provo School District.
- To work in partnership with the Provo City School District in strengthening the services provided to all students.
- Help foster a cooperative working relationship between the district and parents/legal guardians/caregivers.
- Help increase more parent/legal guardians/caregivers’ involvement in schools.
- Provide a forum for all parents/legal guardians/caregivers to take an active part in the education, social and well-being of all PCSD students.
- Advise and present solutions to the Provo City School District in regards to the specific difficulties that Black students are dealing within the PCSD.
- Plan district/committee activities and events that will celebrate the various cultures/social difference in the district and bring awareness to Provo City.
Committee meets every 4th Tuesday from 7:00-8:00 pm. In person at the Grandview Technology Center, 1591 Jordan Ave., Provo. Click here to join via Zoom of contact Brian Yazzie for the Zoom meeting link. firstname.lastname@example.org.
The last meeting for the 21-22 school year will be in May, the committee will resume meetings in September for the 22-23 school year.