Last modified: September 21, 2021
Pacific Islander Advisory Committee
What’s the purpose of the Pacific Islander advisory committee?
The purpose of the Pacific Islander Advisory Committee is to bring Parents/Legal Guardians/Caregivers and the Provo City School District (PCSD) together to set goals and find solutions that will strengthen the district for the benefit of all student needs, and build on relations that will lead Provo City School District students to graduation.
- Provide parents/legal guardians/caregivers an opportunity to participate in the school life of their children.
- Unite parents/legal guardians/caregivers and district by fostering positive communication to help understand cultural/social differences.
- Nurturing community involvement by providing various cultural/social opportunities to help educate and bring awareness to the various populations within the Provo City School District and celebrating the various cultures/differences in district and community.
- Provide guidance and support to the district to help guide students towards graduation by understanding the cultural/social differences in the district and community.
Establish a supportive relationship between parents/legal guardians/caregivers of students and the Provo City School District. This relationship will be built through constructive discussions in which parents/legal guardians/caregivers will discuss the challenges that students are having in any of the schools of the Provo City School District. In addition, the Pacific Islander Advisory Committee will present recommendations to those challenges to the PCSD Student Services Department. Furthermore, the Pacific Islander Advisory Committee will plan cultural activities in order to educate and strengthen the relationship between, parents/legal guardians/caregivers, students and the Provo City School District community.
- To identify educational/social/emotional support and resources for Pacific Islander students in the Provo School District.
- To work in partnership with the Provo City School District in strengthening the services provided to all students.
- Help foster a cooperative working relationship between the district and parents/legal guardians/caregivers.
- Help increase more parent/legal guardians/caregivers’ involvement in schools.
- Provide a forum for all parents/legal guardians/caregivers to take an active part in the education, social and well-being of all PCSD studetns.
- Advise and present solutions to the Provo City School District in regards to the specific difficulties that Pacific Islander students are dealing within the PCSD.
- Plan district/committee activities and events that will celebrate the various cultures/social difference in the district and bring awareness to Provo City.
Every 3rd Wednesday from 7:00-8:00 pm. In person at the Grandview Technology Center. (1591 Jordan Ave.) Chick Here to join via Zoom or email Brian for the link at email@example.com The last meeting for the 21-22 school year will be in May, the committee will resume meetings in September for the 22-23 school year.