Last modified: August 25, 2020
Our class uses a program called i-Ready® Diagnostic & Instruction, an innovative adaptive assessment and engaging personalized instruction program for reading and math. i-Ready will help me assess the needs of your child while monitoring their progress throughout the school year. It will also provide your child with an individualized Online Instruction based on their individual skill level. I would like to enlist your assistance in preparing your child for the first, very important assessment. By discussing the following points with your child, he or she will be more prepared, and the resulting information will be more valuable to you and me.
- Each subject matter assessment will take about 40–45 minutes each to complete.
- It may take 2–4 sittings to complete the assessment. The assessment may be started, stopped, and restarted as needed within a 21-day period we call a “testing window.”
- Each assessment item that a student sees is individualized based on their answer to a previous question. This is what makes the assessment an “adaptive” one. For example, a series of correct answers will result in slightly harder questions, while a series of answers that are incorrect will yield slightly easier questions.
- The assessment assumes that students will not know the answer to every question. Please explain to your child that “it is OK” not to know every answer and that they should do their best on each question.
- The results of the assessment will provide me with an instructional assessment based on what your child “can do” and “the next steps for instruction.”
I would like to enlist your assistance in preparing your child for this assessment. Please encourage your child to:
- Eat a good breakfast and be rested for the day of the assessment
- Try their best on each question and try not to rush
- Try not to worry about questions they do not know—remind them that it is expected they will get about half of the questions correct
- Remind them that they will get assessment “breaks” that are integrated into the assessment
Immediately following the assessment, i-Ready will place your child into Online Instruction to support his or her progress in mastering essential skills in reading and math.
I look forward to providing a learning experience that will attract and hold your child’s interest while also teaching important skills and concepts. I will also have access to i-Ready Reports that I look forward to sharing with you throughout the year. If you have any questions about i-Ready please do not hesitate to contact me or the school. You can also learn more about i-Ready by visiting www.i-ready.com/tour.
Your student’s login information will be provided to you upon enrollment in our class.