eSchool and STEM
What is STEM? Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
Provo City School District’s statement on STEM
STEM education is a focus on content knowledge in science, technology, math, and engineering. STEM educators teach complimentary skills that help students use their knowledge to solve problems. They include:
- 21st Century Skills: communication, collaboration, creative problem solving, and critical thinking
- Engineering Design Processes: In addition to the scientific method, the EDP is taught to students. It is a series of steps used to design solutions to problems. It includes defining the problem, research, developing and testing prototypes, and communicating results.
Upcoming eSchool STEM Events
This year eSchool will join local schools in their STEM Fairs instead of holding one of its own. Students in Grades 7-8 will participate at Dixon Middle School on January 17, 2020. Students in Grades K-6 will participate at Westridge Elementary School; Grades K-3 on January 15th and Grades 4-6 on January 16th.
STEM Fair Introductory Information
- Information Packet (Grades K-6)
- Types of Projects
- Elements of a Successful Project Guide
- Research Plan Worksheet
- Lab Notebook Guidelines
- Engineering Judging Rubric
- Scientific Judging Rubric
- Entry Form Grades K-4
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (fillable)
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (pdf)
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (Spanish)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (fillable)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (pdf)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (Spanish)
Upcoming events in Utah
These events are not sponsored by Provo eSchool, but are provided for your reference. Feel free to register and enjoy them on your own.
- Code Ninjas
- Sandy, Jordan, Bountiful locations
- Kids learn to code by building their own video games
- UBTECH Education Virtual Robotics Camp
- To learn more and register, visit: https://ubtecheducation.com/camp-aspire-virtual-robotics/
- Use UTAHSTEMBEG for $25 off the Beginner Level Camp, or UTAHSTEMINT for $50 off the Intermediate Level Camp.
- Interactive Coding Webinar with Skillstruck
- Monday, July 27th, 9:30-10:30 am
- Ages 8-12
- Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-code-event-tickets-113134490306
- STEM Action Center Utah has STEM activities and challenges that you can do from home
- Weekly STEM challenges: https://stem.utah.gov/students/stem-in-the-home/weekly-stem-challenges/
- Virtual museum tours, learning games, coding courses, and more: https://stem.utah.gov/students/stem-in-the-home/
Check out these resources for other STEM events in Utah
Check out these websites for science lessons, activities, and experiment ideas!