eSchool and STEM
What is STEM? Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
Provo City School District’s statement on STEM
STEM education is a focus on content knowledge in science, technology, math, and engineering. STEM educators teach complimentary skills that help students use their knowledge to solve problems. They include:
- 21st Century Skills: communication, collaboration, creative problem solving, and critical thinking
- Engineering Design Processes: In addition to the scientific method, the EDP is taught to students. It is a series of steps used to design solutions to problems. It includes defining the problem, research, developing and testing prototypes, and communicating results.
Upcoming eSchool STEM Events
This year eSchool will join local schools in their STEM Fairs instead of holding one of its own. Students in Grades 7-8 will participate at Dixon Middle School on January 17, 2020. Students in Grades K-6 will participate at Westridge Elementary School; Grades K-3 on January 15th and Grades 4-6 on January 16th.
STEM Fair Introductory Information
- Information Packet (Grades K-6)
- Types of Projects
- Elements of a Successful Project Guide
- Research Plan Worksheet
- Lab Notebook Guidelines
- Engineering Judging Rubric
- Scientific Judging Rubric
- Entry Form Grades K-4
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (fillable)
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (pdf)
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (Spanish)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (fillable)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (pdf)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (Spanish)
Upcoming events in Utah
These events are not sponsored by Provo eSchool, but are provided for your reference. Feel free to register and enjoy them on your own.
- STEM Fueled Fridays at Thanksgiving Point
- Full-day STEM courses every Friday from September 11 to December 11. Classes run from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm each Friday. Four-week units cost $200 per child, or all 3 four-week units can be purchased for $540 per child.
- 1st-3rd Grade
- October 16th, 23rd, November 6th-Engineering, Museum of Natural Curiosity
- November 13th, 20th, December 4th, 11th-Lego and Robotics, Museum of Natural Curiosity
- 4th-6th grade
- October 16th, 23rd, 30th, November 6th-Entomology, Butterfly Biosphere
- November 13th, 20th, December 4th, 11th-Engineering, Museum of Natural Curiosity
- Learn more here: https://cart.thanksgivingpoint.org/118992?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HomeEducatorsMonthly&utm_content=version_A
- STEM Action Center Utah has STEM activities and challenges that you can do from home
- Weekly STEM challenges: https://stem.utah.gov/students/stem-in-the-home/weekly-stem-challenges/
- Virtual museum tours, learning games, coding courses, and more: https://stem.utah.gov/students/stem-in-the-home/
Check out these resources for other STEM events in Utah
Check out these websites for science lessons, activities, and experiment ideas!