eSchool and STEM
What is STEM? Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
Provo City School District’s statement on STEM
STEM education is a focus on content knowledge in science, technology, math, and engineering. STEM educators teach complimentary skills that help students use their knowledge to solve problems. They include:
- 21st Century Skills: communication, collaboration, creative problem solving, and critical thinking
- Engineering Design Processes: In addition to the scientific method, the EDP is taught to students. It is a series of steps used to design solutions to problems. It includes defining the problem, research, developing and testing prototypes, and communicating results.
Upcoming eSchool STEM Events
This year eSchool will join local schools in their STEM Fairs instead of holding one of its own. Students in Grades 7-8 will participate at Dixon Middle School on January 17, 2020. Students in Grades K-6 will participate at Westridge Elementary School; Grades K-3 on January 15th and Grades 4-6 on January 16th.
STEM Fair Introductory Information
- Information Packet (Grades K-6)
- Types of Projects
- Elements of a Successful Project Guide
- Research Plan Worksheet
- Lab Notebook Guidelines
- Engineering Judging Rubric
- Scientific Judging Rubric
- Entry Form Grades K-4
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (fillable)
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (pdf)
- Registration Form Grades 5-6 (Spanish)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (fillable)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (pdf)
- Registration Form Grades 7-8 (Spanish)
- Registration due to Westridge Elementary (grades K-6) by Wednesday, December 18, 2019
Upcoming events in Utah
These events are not sponsored by Provo eSchool, but are provided for your reference. Feel free to register and enjoy them on your own.
- Homeschool/Online School Days at Thanksgiving Point
- 10 am – 3 pm
- Discounted rates for homeschool and online school students
- Wednesday, December 4 — Museum of Ancient Life
- Wednesday, February 5 — Museum of Natural Curiosity
- Wednesday, March 25 — Farm Country
- Weber State course
- Beginner Virtual Reality Developer (11-18) | Clearfield | Thu | Oct. 10–Dec. 12 | 5–7 p.m. | $99 | 775 S University Park Blvd., Center for Continuing Education, Rm. TBA, Clearfield, UT Description: In one afternoon per week for eight weeks, young learners will create a virtual reality world as an Android app, stylize their creation with an Android icon using Google Drawings and explore their app through a VR headset. In addition, they could win a VR headset and will earn an Intro VR Developer Certificate.
- The Wonder Club: Homeschool Science Club at Thanksgiving Point
- Register Now!
- 10 week program beginning February 2020
- Ages 7-9: Tuesdays from 1:30-3:30 pm
- Ages 10-13: Thursdays from 1:30-3:30 pm
- Learn more at http://www.thanksgivingpoint.org/education/youth/wonder-club/ or by calling 801-768-4971
Check out these resources for other STEM events in Utah
Check out these websites for science lessons, activities, and experiment ideas!