The ELL program helps student’s develop English language proficiency by:
- Providing in-class and pull-out support for students in acquiring English
- Providing dual language classrooms at Timpanogos Elementary
- Providing on-going district and school inservice and University classes for teachers to help students acquire English and develop content mastery
- Promoting appreciation and awareness of language and cultural diversity
- Reaching out to families
- Encouraging parent and community involvement in education
- Supporting students home language by encouraging parents to speak to and read to their children in their first language
Provo’s ELL Program promises to:
- Foster a vision of immigrant and English language learners as assets to our schools, communities and country.
- Use a wide variety of teaching methods, including collaborative learning.
- Base teaching and learning on the needs of individual students.
- Teach many means of communication, including a strong focus on writing.
The following statement supports the goals of our program:
Go to the people,
Learn from them, live with them,
Start with what they know.
Build with what they have.
The best of leaders are those when the job is done,
When the task is accomplished, the people will say,
“We have done it ourselves.”
– Lao Tsu – 604 BC
English Language Proficiency Classifications
- America Reads
- Center for Applied Linguistics
- Center for Research on Education, Diversity and Excellence (CREDE)
- Intercultural Development Research Association (IDRA)
- National Association for Bilingual Education
- National Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Aquisition
- Office of Civil Rights, US Department of Education (OCR)
- PTA en Español
- Public Education Network (PEN)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Language Skill Practice
- ELL Quiz Center
- Dave Sperling’s web site with quizzes from other EFL and ELL instructors for Geography, Grammar, History, Idioms, Slang, & Words, People, Reading Comprehension, Science, World Culture, and Writing.
- Internet-TSEL-Journal (ITESL-J) Quizzes
- Interactive quizzes for Grammar, Places, Vocabulary, Idioms, Homonyms, Scrambled Words, and more.
- Karin’s ELL Partyland Quiz Center
- Quizzes for Grammar, Idioms, Slang & Phrasal Verbs, Reading, TOEFL, Trivia, Useful Expressions and Vocabulary.
- Interesting Things for ELL Students
- Activities and quizzes for students.
- Little Explorers Picture Dictionary
- A dictionary for primary students. Includes illustrations as well as example sentences and additional links.
- Dictionary: Merriam-Webster
- Another resource from a dictionary company with Word of the Day, Word Games, and Word for the Wise. Start with Word Central!!
- Dictionary: Your Dictionary, A Global Language Resource
- A multilingual resource with Dictionaries, Grammars, Language Identifiers, a Gameroom, and a section on Endangered Languages.
- Educación Hispana para Primaria y Secundaria
- Recursos para aprender español mediante diferentes temáticas. Información educativa para alumnos de primaria y secundaria.
- El Sabio
- This is a site designed to get kids around the world to talk to each other. Students can access the site in a variety of languages. The site frequently offers special projects and features.
- Yahooligans Reference Page
- Contains a collection of dictionaries and other reference sources for ELL students.
- CultureGrams series is one of the most trusted and widely used cultural reference and curriculum products in the education, government, and non-profit arenas.