Wasatch Elementary School was named “Wasatch” on October 13, 1948. It is an Indian name meaning “mountain path.” The following year, on September 12, 1949, students began attending the new school. There were 239 students, one kindergarten room and four classrooms. Mr. George Miller was the first principal. The building was dedicated on January 10, 1954. Dr. Ariel S. Ballif gave the dedicatory prayer. There were 695 students that year. As Wasatch has grown we have expanded to two buildings and are housed partially in the neighboring building (formerly Oakridge School) that we call “Wasatch Too.”
Wasatch Elementary School has been recognized with a number of awards: the Gold Medal
Award, the Excellence in Education Award, the Utah Centennial Schools Award, and the Award
for Excellence from the Sutherland Institute.
Students are learning skills so they will be able to use technology as a tool for learning and communicating. Keyboarding, word processing, email, research via the Internet, multimedia, and video production are taught in our two computer labs, mini classroom labs, eMints classrooms, on our interactive Promethean Boards and with mobile laptop labs.