Since the successful passage of the $108M bond on the November 4th ballot, much interest has been expressed by patrons and employees about how soon we can begin the process of rebuilding the five schools. Some are interested in having us construct the new schools as soon as possible to address the serious seismic, structural, and system deficiencies in each of the schools. Others have expressed interest in following the expenditures and staying abreast of the progress of the buildings and the costs. Those who have these and other concerns should know that the Provo City School District Board of Education and administration share these same interests.
This part of the Provo City School District webpage is intended to address such needs and interests. We will provide regular updates as noted below:
- Occasional brief narratives about updates for both the overall project and individual schools,
- Updates regarding issuance of bonds and draws of bond funds to pay for the rebuilding work at each school,
- A running tally of uses of bond funds against both the issued bonds and the overall bond amount, and
- Pictures and (hopefully) a live-feed video camera to see each school’s progress.
Project Plans as of December 12, 2014
As a result of many meetings and planning sessions, the plans for proceeding with this overall project are described below. Please remember that the plans could change, but in general, we believe this is a reasonably accurate estimate of projects and timelines.
- Rock Canyon Elementary and Sunset View Elementary schools will be the first schools to be rebuilt. We expect ground breaking during Summer 2015 and the new schools will open Fall/Winter 2016. We can move ahead quickly on these two schools due to very popular (and somewhat standardized) plans being available from a large number of architects. We expect to be able to customize those plans in an accelerated manner for the two elementary schools.
- Design and planning for Provo High School will begin by late winter 2015. We expect this process will last about 12-14 months, with actual reconstruction work beginning during Summer 2016.
- The first issuance of bonds will likely be sometime in late winter/early spring 2015.
- Between May 2015 and May 2016, plans will be developed for the remaining elementary school(s), and we anticipate ground-breaking in Summer 2016.
- We believe the taxpayers expect us to exercise wisdom and caution in the issuance of bonds. Balancing a measured approach in bond issuance with the need to take advantage of historically low bond interest rates (and a currently favorable construction climate) is what we are trying to achieve.
On December 11 2014, we began the first of many vetting meetings requisite to selecting architects. Due to the complex nature of the Provo High School project, we will be selecting that project architect first. We will then quickly move to the selection of the architect for the elementary schools.
We invite you to check back regularly for updates. Before we actually begin the rebuilds, updates on this site will be a little sporadic. Once the reconstruction process begins in earnest, we expect bi-weekly postings.
Thank you for your support and interest in this historic project in Provo.